Thursday, September 18, 2008

On Repeat: Dr. Dog


My first exposure to Dr. Dog came at Bonnaroo in 2006 when I the keyboardist for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah wore one of their t-shirts during their show. From then on, they were always a band that sort of intrigued me, but one that I had trouble finding a starting point for. I got that chance this summer by picking up their latest effort, "Fate." Unfortunately, I bought it at the same time as I bough the Walkmen's "You & Me" and Liam Finn's "I'll Be Lightning," both of which quickly became favorites of mine, and Dr. Dog sort of fell to the wayside. I've finally found it though and can't stop listening. The record is a sort of folk rock romp that will undoubtedly get your toes tappin'. The album's best bit is the sprint through tracks "Hold On," "The Old Days" and "Army of Ancients." All three songs seem to take the rag-tag sound of the Elephant 6 bands and combine it with an almost folksy, yet soulful sound.
Dr. Dog Myspace

No comments: